Ringtone makers add a personalized element to a person’s cell phone, and the last few years have seen them simplified greatly. It used to be the case that making ringtones required visiting dedicated, and sometimes questionable, websites. Today, the entire process can be taken care of exclusively through apps.
From a general perspective, the process of making a ringtone just involves the user choosing a song that they like and truncating it. The clip is then set up to play whenever a phone call, text message or notification comes through. Of course, it doesn’t have to be music – it can also be popular sound effects or clips. The only limit is the user’s creativity. Let’s take a look at how to create ringtones on the most popular mobile platforms.
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world, so let’s start there. The process is actually surprisingly smooth, and can be outlined in a few easy steps.
- Download an app for ringtone creation; dozens of apps are available.
- Load a preferred song onto the device.
- In the ringtone app, select the song.
From there, it’s just a matter of following the steps in the user interface. Each app has its own approach to the flow here, but the steps are easy enough. If it doesn’t automatically set the new ringtone as the default sound, it can be adjusted through Settings under the Sounds header.
iOS comprises a strong majority of all devices that aren’t Android-based. The process for creating iOS ringtones is a little bit more cumbersome than it is on Android. Although the basic steps are the same, there is an extra layer of steps to go through.
- Download a ringtone app from the App Store.
- Add the desired song to the phone’s iTunes library.
- Select the song and truncate it in the ringtone app.
- Save the clip, then connect the phone to iTunes.
- Move the file from the device to the iTunes library; choose to import it as a ringtone.
- Re-sync the phone with iTunes, thus adding the ringtone to the device’s sound library.
Once this is done, the ringtone can be configured in Settings under sounds. There’s no limit to how many ringtones that can be added to a device. As long as the downloaded app is compatible with the songs on a device, ringtone makers can be used to create as many ringtones as a user likes.